Saturday, October 20, 2012

For the love of elephants...

Day 1.
For the love of elephants...
 
If you have found your way to this blog I hope you are ready to enjoy the journey with me as I explore some great gift ideas just in time for the holidays. This blog will be devoted to helping us all find some cool items that have one thing in common...they are made right here in the USA. I have always been a supporter of the idea we should shop locally whenever possible. To me this is the global version of a shop local campaign. And there are so many reasons why it's important to support American business on both the small and large scale. From keeping jobs in our country to all the trickle down economic benefits, I don't think too many people would argue against the notion that shopping for American made goods is a smart thing to do. However, the inspiration for this blog came from a different angle entirely. I happened upon a website and blog written by an artist whose talents I first encountered in my youth through her illustrations, which had a significant impact on me during my childhood, and now her figural art that I equally admire having learned more about her work today. Through her own blog Sharon Knettell (www.sharonknettell.com) drew my attention to how so many elephants are losing their lives, slaughtered for ivory and commerce as a result of a high foreign demand for the ivory and how some tactics used in countries like China have just contributed to this terribly sad situation. I encourage you to read more about this for yourself, but I wanted to find a positive way to address the feelings this brought up in me.
 
The most positive way I feel we can all make a difference is to make smart choices, opting to select gift items that support America and American business. Though I hope to impart some important ideas and information, this blog will not be about preaching to you...it will be about assisting you in finding cool things being made in the USA and showing support by shopping with retailers who have taken the extra effort to offer them. As an artsy-crafty person myself, I like to think that "made in the USA" not only refers to a finished product, but also ideas for things you can make yourself using components that are manufactured here as well. So throughout this blog you will find some videos, some photos, some stories and some do-it-yourself ideas for things I have come across in my many travels that I want you to know about. My hope is that we can share ideas for smart, savvy gifts that combat the negative by reinforcing the positive, and that positive impact can be felt all over the United States by spending our dollars to support the wide variety of cool things that are available right here. I also welcome you to e-mail me with your thoughts and suggestions. Together we'll find lots of ideas for gifts and goodies just in time for the holiday season. Let's get shopping!
 
I want to encourage you right from the start that there are lots of wonderful gifts to be found out there that are made in the USA. Sometimes it seems like you might have to put in a little extra effort…but not always. I took a tour of a wonderful gift shop that features a very wide selection of gifts made in America everywhere you look. Let’s start our journey here!
 
 
 
I’d like to thank my friends at The Tepee for letting me tour their store. If you’d like to learn more about them you can find the shop at: